Frankfurt am Main
Umbrella, open space, glass roof, wave, trees
The shopping centre erected in the 1960s underwent an economic crisis in the 1980s. More and more retail units had to be closed. All shopping arcades became vacated.
Investors were requested to revitalise the Nordwest-Zentrum by organizing various leisure, entertainment and shopping opportunities.
As part of the redevelopment, the following solutions have been suggested:
- covering all shopping arcades with a glass roof (approx. 10 000 square meters)
- renovating the underground station with facilities for disabled people
- connecting the storeys with flat escalators
- light-colourd ceilings with high-grade stainless steel elements
- new granite tile floor
- introducing a uniform advertising and visual communication system
Architekten RKW + Partner
Architect Wacław Bieniasz